Monday, 6 June 2011

The ROYAL treatment at Paddington

Hungry for a steak? Thought of the Royal at Paddington.  We tried the Fillet steak with Bernaise sauce and the Scotch Fillet with Pepper sauce. The first was meant to be medium rare which it was and the second was to be rare, which it was not. Is that rare? not really ...this often happens ..they often do this to "rare" people.  Both came on a bed of "potato rosti", which was really mashed potato made into a hamburger shape and grilled on the hotplate.  Disappointing ...what happened to real potato rosti ???? 
The steaks were $27 and $29 which I guess nowadays is reasonable for a pub (in the eastern Suburbs of Sydney that is).  The quality was better than some restaurants so I will let it pass.  The sauces were passable.  The fillet steak was good though the scotch fillet I would have rated at 5/10 ..probably because it was overcooked and also a bit tough.
This is a place for a drink and a steak, so pass on the desserts.  Pleasant atmosphere, a good place to spend a sunny Sunday with a bunch of nice people ..go to the rooftop terrace.

1 comment:

  1. I find it works wonders if you order your steak the way you want it (say medium rare, but depends on the cut) and ask for it "well rested". It may take longer, but it won't arrive tough. After the trauma of cooking the muscle has relaxed. THis nk about a backyard barbie - the meat that's been sitting around uneaten for a a while is always tender. Also in a pub, I prefer my sauce on the side - to prevent death by drowning. Joady

    ReplyDelete