Sunday, 26 June 2011

Noodle ... shnoodle ..

Ok ..in Hong Kong ... so I expect some decent noodles from the Cathay Lounge Noodle Bar ... back in 1998 I tried their noodle bar in what was then a futuristic lounge in Hong Kong airport.
Well, now we have a new airport and several lounges.  The big one and latest to be refurbished is The Pier.
It has a big bar, a coffee bar, and a noodle bar.  The coffee was atrocious despite the big wonderful expresso machines any barista would have died for.  The guys back in Sydney in the Qantas Business lounge were just starting with a new coffee, Vittoria on the day I was there.  They made an excellent flat white.
Now back to noodles and Cathay.  They have four types only on offer ..one is Japanese and has a thickly breaded "shrimp" in it.  The rest are variations on chilli stock, plain and with egg.  All are ramen.  Back in1998 you could order anything from the chef.  Now they give you a wireless tag that lights up when the noodles are ready, which is about 30 seconds after they give it to you.  Points for being quick. I was there for 9 hours so tried all of them.  Disappointed, I did not finish any of them and turned to the steamed pork buns.  At least the place looks great and has great showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment