Monday, 8 August 2011

Salt ...pink or flaky or cheap???

Salt ... people have died for this ..Gandhi made it a point of political interest in his push for Indian independence ... now restaurants and shops make it a point of difference so that we pay inordinate amounts for a few grams ..of course it differentiates one's table from a commoner, especially if it is a different colour.  Now that flaky sea salt is everywhere we need to have it coloured so that we can show our friends that we spend big at our table.  
Sorry ... apologies.  I forgot, these special salts taste different.  I keep diffferent olive oils from different areas because they taste different.  When I put them on my rocket they still taste different.  If I mix them with vinegar the difference begins to disappear ..maybe even totally goes. 
In my pantry I have Maldon salt, Ravida sea salt, Sel de GuĂ©rande, supermarket rock salt and good old iodised cooking salt.  The expensive sea salts have a higher level of impurities such as magnesium and calcium and these impart a flavour, as they do in mineral water.  Another impurity is bacteria, which impart flavour and colour, especially the pink colour that appears when the salt gets humid and the bacteria are allowed to grow uncontrolled.  
When any of these salts are dissolved, as when used in cooking, for example in pasta water, one cannot tell the difference.  When you taste them directly and undissolved, say straight on to your rocket, you can tell the difference.
There you go...

No comments:

Post a Comment