Saturday, 6 August 2011

Kohu Ice Cream ..new from New Zealand ...or make your own

As you can tell from my write up on Giolitti in Rome I love ice cream. I overdosed on Giolitti's gelati when I was in Rome last month, but especially the fruit flavours and more so their strawberry because in the heat of a Rome July this quenched my need for freshness. 
Last night I saw this new ice cream, Kohu, from New Zealand in the flash gourmet deli next to the sushi place, where I had dinner ...and I had a pang for dessert.  It was priced at over $18 per litre ...so it must be ok ...right? 
The best way to test an ice cream is to try the strawberry flavour because this is done brilliantly by good ice creameries, like Giolitti and so poorly by average makers.  When you buy chocolate or Hokey Pokey or some other strong flavour you are overwhelmed by the sweetness of the flavouring.  
I got home, opened the Kohu tub and ...well ...it was laced with strawberry syrup ...augh ....it tasted like some vanilla flavoured cheese with jam through it.  Yes, I said cheese.   And the texture was so wrong  ... ...maybe after that excellent sushi wiith fresh wasabi my tongue was confused and I decided to put it back in the freezer.
Next morning out it came, let it warm up... and still cheese with jammy syrup.  And again the texture was ...simply wrong.  Threw it out.

LEAVE THE KOHU ICE CREAM IN THE SUPERMARKET FREEZER. 

It is very easy to make ice cream, and you make it so it is healthy and does not need to have cream in it but tastes brilliant.... recipes coming up!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment